CSRI & Special Recreation
Cooperative Special Recreation Initiative Events
The Cooperative Special Recreation Initiative is a cooperative venture seeking ways to increase recreational opportunities for individuals of all ages who have special needs and abilities. To receive announcements of upcoming activities email CSRI or call one of the sponsoring agencies.
By working together toward a common goal we are able to provide more events to a larger amount of people than any one agency alone. Friend CSRI on Facebook to find out more about what's going on.
The following agencies are proud to partner to offer CSRI:
- Crown Point Parks and Recreation
- Dyer Parks and Recreation
- East Chicago Marina
- Hammond Parks and Recreation
- Hammond Port Authority
- Hanover Central HS Key Club
- Highland Parks and Recreation
- Lake County Parks and Recreation
- Merrillville Parks and Recreation
- Munster Parks and Recreation
- North Township-Wicker Park
- Schererville Parks and Recreation
- St. John Parks and Recreation
- Whiting Parks and Recreation
Help save postage and be more environmentally friendly by going paperless. We are keeping a CSRI email list so notifications of events can be sent out as they approach. If you are interested in being added to the CSRI mailing list or need to correct an address, name or contact person, please email CSRI.
The following event list is provided so you can "save the date." Registration may not begin until a later date as decided by the host agency. Typically full information will be emailed closer to the date of the event. Most programs have a registration fee and require advance registration.
CSRI “Sweetheart Dance”
- Saturday, February 10, 2018
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- $6 per person (including family / caregivers)
Turkey Creek Banquet Hall
6400 Harrison Street
Merrillville, IN 46410
- Advance tickets required
It’s a lovely party and you’re invited! We’ll provide the refreshments, music and crafts! Come dressed up for this wonderful afternoon, or come as you are - we would love to see you either way! Family and friends are invited as well.
Advance tickets are required and seating is limited. No tickets available at the door. Call 219-769-7275 to reserve your spot. Reservation deadline is Monday, February 7th.
CSRI Ice Skating Party
Recreational events for families with persons with special needs at Deep River Waterpark Ice Skating Plaza.
- Date: Saturday, January 28, 2017
- Time: 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- $6 per person, includes crafts and skate rental for those who need them.
Pre-register and pre-pay by January 23 at 2 p.m. Call 219-769-PARK to make reservations. Email Lake County if you have any questions.
- This private ice skating party is just for families with special needs for all ages and abilities.
- The ice plaza is outdoors.
- Next to the plaza is a cozy, heated eatery with crafts and games. Concessions for sale.
- We have walkers available that are designed for the ice and helpful for those who are unsure of their balance.
- Skaters are welcome to go on the ice with their sneakers or boots.
- There will be fun and games indoors and out!
- You don’t have to skate to have fun.
Deep River Waterpark is located at 9001 East U.S 30 only 4 ½ miles east of I-65 on Route 30 in Merrillville.
CSRI Wheelchair Accessible Hayride
For families with special needs presented by the Lake County Parkscsri hayride.
- Oak Ridge Prairie County Park
- Saturday, October 28, 2017
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.
- $3 per person
- Working dogs are welcome free of charge!
- Limit 80 people
- Pre-registration required by Wednesday, October 25th
- Call 219-769-7275
Come to Oak Ridge Prairie for a fantastic fall experience including music, snacks, crafts, games and a hayride. Our specially designed hayride wagon is wheelchair accessible and can transport two people in wheelchairs per trip. Families bringing people in wheelchairs will reserve their hayride time at the time of registration. All other guests will be assigned a hayride time upon arrival. Each hayride is about 20 minutes long. The last hayride will depart at 2 p.m. or when all in attendance have had a ride, whichever comes first.