Cross Country Skiing
Looking for a great way to exercise in a beautiful setting? Then come out to your Lake County Parks and cross country ski. Each park that offers this activity has several miles of trails through wooded areas as well as open fields. The trails are designed for a beginner as well as the experienced skier, so don't worry if you have never tried cross country skiing before.
Cross country ski rentals open at Lemon Lake, Oak Ridge Prairie and Stoney Run on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and school holidays 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. weather and snow conditions permitting. All equipment must be returned by 4:30 p.m. Note: Closing times may vary due to darkness. The equestrian trail is closed at Stoney Run from December through March. Ski trails are groomed at Lemon Lake and Stoney Run when there is at least a four inch snow base.
Lemon Lake County Park
6322 W 133rd Avenue
Crown Point, IN 46307
Lemon Lake Ski Rental building phone: 219-663-2418
Eight miles of easy to moderate trails in wooded areas with hills and flat open fields, ideal for beginners, intermediates, and advanced skiers.
Stoney Run County Park
9230 E 142nd Avenue
Hebron, IN 46341
Seven miles of easy to moderate trail winding through a wooded hilly area and flat open space. Designed with intermediate to advanced skiers in mind. Trails are closed to horses when skiing is open and anytime January-March.
Oak Ridge Prairie County Park
301 South Colfax Street
Griffith, IN 46323
Cross country skiing will officially be offered for this upcoming season, trail details will be available soon.
- Dates: December 1 through February
- Parks Sites: Lemon Lake, Oak Ridge Prairie and Stoney Run County Parks (when snow conditions allow).
- Rental Times: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and school holidays 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. All equipment must be returned by 4:30 p.m. (earlier if necessary due to darkness). Note: Closing times may vary due to sunset. Parks close at sunset.
- Cost: $7 includes the use of skis, boots, poles, and winter fun.
- Equipment: Skis, poles, and boots. Adult and children’s sizes are available.
- Deposit: A valid driver's license or credit card must be left with park employee in charge as security on the equipment. License or credit card will be returned when equipment is returned.
- Special: In the case of good snow conditions on non-rental days, call Stoney Run to check on additional availability of rentals.
Rentals are available on a first come, first serve basis. The park manager reserves the right to close the ski program when weather conditions are not favorable. All equipment will be used on the park site only. The rental fee includes use of skis, boots, poles, and fun. Dogs (even on a leash) or horses are not permitted on the ski trails when we are skiing - Safety First for Everyone. Note: Horse trails are closed at Stoney Run January-March.
Please call 219-769-7275 for additional information. Call the parks for updated trail and weather conditions.